Tax Center offers assistance during tax season


The Tax Center on RAF Mildenhall, which offers self-service preparation and filing assistance is scheduled to open Feb. 1 until June 15. The tax center – located in building 424 - will be open from noon to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

"The goal of the tax center is to provide preparation assistance at no cost for Team Mildenhall’s Airmen and families,” said Lt. Col. Michael Burnat, 100th Air Refueling Wing staff judge advocate.

To ensure the tax center offers quality assistance, the Internal Revenue Service and the 100 ARW Legal Office will provide training to Team Mildenhall volunteers.

“Our trained volunteers will be available and look forward to assisting clients preparing their own returns using a no-cost, online software on networked tax center computers,” said Staff Sgt. Bryan Fontana, 100th ARW Tax Center NCO in charge.

Assistance provided at the tax center is free and open to all Department of Defense ID holders. However, volunteers are unable to assist with complex tax returns, such as individuals with business income, rental properties, and self-employed taxpayers.

This service allows members to prepare their own returns by using free online tax preparation offered through Military OneSource at the tax center. They have the opportunity to obtain answers to tax questions and guidance from IRS-certified tax center volunteers. Drop off service is not available.

As U.S. citizens residing overseas, Team Mildenhall's Airmen and families have an automatic two-month extension to file their returns and pay any amount due without requesting an extension.

For a 2016 calendar-year return, the automatic two-month extension ends on June 15, 2017. Deployed service members have a 180-day extension, plus any days they had left to file for that year, before he/she deployed. The clock begins the day the member returns from deployment. As long as they file during the extension period no penalties or interest will be charged.

Tax filers are reminded to bring all tax-related information to the tax center, including:

• A CAC-enabled DoD ID Card

• Forms W-2, 1095, 1099, 1098 and interest/dividends on checking/savings, regardless of amount

• Copies of social security cards, individual taxpayer identification number or other proof of social security number or ITIN from the Social Security Administration for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents.
• Proof of identity (a DoD ID card for active-duty members)
• Bank details for direct deposit

For more information, contact the tax center at DSN 238-1978 or 238-3913; commercial at 01638 541978 or 01638 543913, or the legal office at DSN 238-2028 or commercial at 01638 542028.