Driving in the U.K.

The highway code is available online to learn about road signs and UK-specific laws in preparation for the driving exam you will take soon after arrival.

Tinted Windows Your questions answered

The appearance of external websites does not constitute endorsement by RAF Mildenhall, the U.S. Air Force or the Department of Defense of the external website or the information, products or services contained therein. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of the website.

Firearms in the U.K.

There are very strict rules regarding firearms in the U.K.

Any attempt to import firearms in your personal property shipments (hold baggage or household goods) without first obtaining a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate will result in the seizure of the firearms, criminal investigation by U.K. and U.S. law enforcement authorities and potential prosecution under U.K. or U.S. law. The seized items may be confiscated and destroyed. Additionally, shipment of ammunition in personal property shipments arranged by the DoD is prohibited.

For more information on this topic click on the button below.

Are you moving to the U.K.? Do you own firearms? If so, CLICK HERE.

Misc. Newcomers Info

Pet Shipment
Pets can now enter the UK from select countries. For up-to-date guidance, please check HERE for specific regulations.

Newcomers Information

Welcome to your assignment at RAF Mildenhall, England. We would like to make this relocation process as easy as possible for you. To start your journey, you may want to begin by accessing the links provided here for detailed information about moving to RAF Mildenhall.

Housing information for RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath is available at the following link, www.housing.af.mil/Units/RAF-Mildenhall

Also, a Welcome to the UK video series is provided to give you insight into the local area and living in the UK. In total, these videos last approximately 40 minutes.

For an additional resource for help make your move to the UK easier, visit www.gov.uk.

Click here for a brief introduction to the Welcome to the UK DVD.

Prior to arrival to the U.K., Airmen PSCing to the U.K. are required to travel in civilian attire.

Upon arrival to the U.K., Airmen are warned against the use of certain U.S. cordless phones and baby monitors in country. Airmen might not know that using such devices may be preventing someone in the local area from placing an emergency phone call. If caught using these devices the U.K. Office of Communications has the authority to issue a £5,000 fine. For more information click here.

Lodging and Housing Info

Your sponsor should also make lodging arrangements for you. If you wish to confirm your reservation, contact the Gateway Inn by e-mail at 100fss.fsvl@mildenhall.af.mil or phone at DSN 314-238-6001 or commercial (011-44) 1638-546001. Reservations can be made up to a year in advance without a copy of PCS orders.

Contact the housing office at DSN 314-226-2000, or commercial (011-44) 1638-532000 within two days of arrival to determine if you will be offered family housing and the amount of Temporary Lodging Allowance you will be authorized.

Unaccompanied First Term Airmen will stay in a dormitory, and arrangements are usually made 14 days before arrival. If your sponsor has yet to arrange a dorm room for you, or you wish to confirm the arrangements, please contact the Unaccompanied Housing Office at DSN 314-238-5736 or commercial (011-44) 1638-545736.

Your sponsor will also obtain a post office box for you to start redirecting mail as soon as they receive a copy of your PCS orders. If you have questions or wish to set this up yourself, please e-mail the Post Office at 100cs.poc@mildenhall.af.mil or call DSN 314-238-2151 or commercial ((011-44) 1638-542151.

Sponsor Information

Do you have a sponsor? The answer is yes, your new unit will appoint a sponsor for you. If for some reason you are concerned because you don't have a sponsor, or have not heard from them, the Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC) can assist in assigning you a sponsor. Please contact the A&FRC by e-mail at 100fss.fsfr@mildenhall.af.mil or calling DSN 314-238-3406, or commercial (011-44) 1638-543406.

Your sponsor is the key to a successful PCS and should be your first contact for information concerning travel to RAF Mildenhall and for assistance in getting settled in England. They can help to arrange transportation from the London airports as well, so contact your sponsor early to discuss your travel plans. Keep in mind that when a sponsor is assigned to a family, they support the needs of the entire family.

Sponsorship training

Sponsorship training is required per AFI 36-3009 , para 3.5.1.  First time sponsors and those who have not been trained as a sponsor during the past year must receive sponsorship training online through 'My Training Hub' at http://apps.militaryonesource.mil/esat.


There are two sponsorship related courses:

1)  eSponsorship Application & Training (eSAT) - is for military / civilians.

This course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and is designed to provide you with the information and resources you need to be a good sponsor and ensure your newcomer's move is successful. For more resources, visit eSAT Tools at (https://myhub.militaryonesource.mil/MOS/f?p=SIS:15:0::::CONTENT_ID:279810)


2) Sponsorship Awareness for Families - is for spouses / family members.

This training takes approximately 90 minutes to complete and is designed for family members who want to learn more about the sponsorship process.


Please complete the training and contact your Unit INTRO/Sponsorship program manager for more details.  If you need further assistance regarding accessing e-sponsorship training and relocation resources please contact Airman & Family Readiness Center at DSN 238-3406.

Passport/Visa Information

Do not PCS to the UK without the required documentation. Failure to obtain the required documents can result in denied entry or deportation.

Military members do not need a visa, but must have valid NATO orders. Military dependents, civilians, and civilian dependents require a US no-fee passport. Civilians and civilian dependents require a UK visa. Contractors and contractor dependents require both a US tourist passport and a UK visa. The process for obtaining a passport and visa can take 2-3 months. It is important to start the application process as soon as possible. For more information click on the button below.