PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel S. Troy Pananon is the Commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom, supporting four U.S. Air Force Major Command flying programs and more than 16,800 military, civilian, dependent and retiree personnel. With 15 KC-135 aircraft, the wing is the only permanently assigned air refueling operation in the European theater.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Pananon served as the Vice Commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., where he assisted the wing commander in leading more than 3,000 people and providing worldwide air refueling and combatant commander airlift support in addition to the support of Headquarters U.S. Central Command, Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command.
Colonel Pananon served five years as an enlisted Marine prior to receiving his commission from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1996. He was initially assigned as a maintenance officer at Hurlburt Field, Fla., and then attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
Colonel Pananon has commanded an operations support squadron and is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours in the T-37, T-1, C-21, KC-10, C-5, C-37.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
Daytona Beach, Fla.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Masters of Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Daytona Beach, Fla.
2009 Masters of Military Operational Arts and Science, Air Command and Staff College,
Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Masters of National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
1. May 1996 - May 1998, Munitions Flight Commander, 16th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, later Assistant Maintenance Supervisor, 16th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Hurlburt
2. May 1998 - May 1999, student, specialized undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB,
3. July 1999 - July 2002, Flight Commander and C-21A Flight Examiner, later Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 457th Airlift Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. July 2002 - November 2005, Flight Commander and KC-10A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. March 2006 - August 2008, Chief Pilot and C-5 Aircraft Commander, 9th Airlift Squadron, Chief, Wing Executive Officer and C-5 Instructor Aircraft Commander, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
6. August 2008 - June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College – Political Military Affairs
Strategist Fellow, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2009 - August 2010, International Military Education and Training Program Officer, Office
of Defense Representative - Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan
8. August 2010 - May 2011, Assistant Director of Operations and KC-10A Instructor Aircraft
Commander, 6th ARS, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. May 2011 - May 2013, Commander, 60th Operations Support Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. Jun 2013 - Jul 2014, Executive Officer to the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. Jul 2014 - Jun 2015, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
12. Jul 2015 - Jul 2017, Chief, Joint Force Headquarters Exercise Branch, Headquarters United
States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
13. Jul 2017 - May 2019, Vice Commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill Air Force Base,
14. May 2019 - Present, Commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-21, KC-10, C-5, C-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with eight oak leaf clusters
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 4, 1996
First Lieutenant May 4, 1998
Captain May 4, 2000
Major April 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel March 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2019)