RAF MILDENHALL, England --
Fire Prevention Week for 2018 is Oct. 7 - 13, and this year’s theme is “Look, Listen, Learn.”
The 100th Civil Engineer Squadron Fire Department has a variety of events planned for families, including a movie, reading and bowling with Sparky, the annual fire muster, and finishing the week with an open house at the fire station.
“Fire Prevention Week is an important reminder for all on the dangers of fire and how quickly it can happen,” said Master Sgt. Lance Berentson, 100th CES Fire Department deputy fire chief. “We are all busy with work and life, so we take this week to refocus people to ensure they are taking care of their homes and workspace, and ultimately ensure that everyone stays safe.
“Fire safety starts in the home and it’s never too early to start learning how to prevent fires before they start,” Berentson added. “Additionally, children are very likely to panic during a fire, so any training we can give them will help them stay safe and teach them good habits.”
Team Mildenhall Airmen, civilians and their families are encouraged to come out to the events to have fun and learn about fire safety.
Fire Prevention Week falls annually during the week of Oct. 9, and commemorates the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The week focuses on educating the public on the dangers of fire both at home and in the workplace.
“The latest research shows that home fires kill more than 3,390 people each year, and 59 percent of residential fire-related deaths were in homes without operable smoke alarms,” said Watch Manager David Bootman, 100th CES Fire Department assistance chief of fire prevention. “RAF Mildenhall firefighters are dedicated to reducing the occurrence of home fires and injuries through fire prevention and education programs.”
Berentson stressed the importance of getting the fire safety message across.
“During a fire, children may want to save their favorite toy, or may not know the safest exit out of their house,” he said. “I think the most important thing to teach children is to have a plan on how to evacuate their home, and to have a designated rally point to meet up with their parents and other family members.”
Fire Prevention Week events on RAF Mildenhall are scheduled as follows:
· Sunday, Oct. 7, 3 p.m. – Come watch “Incredibles 2” with Sparky the Fire Dog at the base theatre. The first 20 children will receive a free small popcorn and drink.
· Monday, Oct. 8: U.S. holiday (no events).
· Tuesday, Oct. 9, Noon to 1:30 p.m. – There will be a demonstration of the do’s and don’ts involving kitchen grease and oil fires at the BXtra. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, accounting for 47 percent of reported home fires and 55 percent of related injuries.
· Wednesday, Oct. 10, 11 a.m. to noon – Sparky and some of his firefighter friends will be reading to children at the base library.
· Thursday, Oct. 11, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – RAF Mildenhall firefighters will be performing an auto extrication demonstration (showing how they cut up a car to safely remove a casualty in a simulated road traffic collision/multi vehicle accident scenario) using the Jaws of Life.
· Friday, Oct. 12, 1 to 4:30 p.m. – Come out and participate in the annual fire muster! There are three categories – men’s, women’s and 50/50 mixed, with four per team. Prizes will be awarded to the winners of each category.
o From 6 to 7:45 p.m., Bowling with Sparky is at the bowling alley, with reduced rates for games and shoe rental.
· Saturday, Oct. 13, 1 to 4:30 p.m. – The open house at the fire department will include a military working dog and car fire demonstration, hazardous material equipment demonstration, large inflatable slide, and free hot dogs and hamburgers. There will also be a free prize draw and entrants must be present to win.
For more information, and to sign up for the fire muster, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call DSN 238-4004.