HomeNewsArticle Display

The New Year is upon us and with it comes… taxes!

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- The 100th Air Refueling Wing Tax Center, located in building 424, will be open from Feb. 1 through June 15, Monday - Thursday, 12-4 p.m. for self-service preparation and filing assistance. 

The Tax Center’s assistance is free to all Department of Defense ID holders.  

"The goal of the Tax Center is to provide tax preparation assistance at no cost for Team Mildenhall’s Airmen and families,” said Lt. Col. Michael Burnat, 100th Air Refueling Wing Staff Judge Advocate. The IRS and the 100th ARW Legal Office will provide training to volunteers for quality assurance assistance.

“Our trained volunteers will be available, and look forward in assisting clients preparing their own returns using a no-cost, online software on networked Tax Center computers,” said Senior Airman James Rooks, 100th ARW Paralegal. Volunteers are unable to assist with complex tax returns, such as individuals with business income, rental properties, and self-employed taxpayers. 

Members may utilize the self-service option, which allows them to prepare their own returns by using free online tax preparation offered through Military OneSource. They also have the opportunity to obtain answers to tax questions and receive guidance from IRS certified Tax Center volunteers. No drop off service will be available. 

U.S. citizens residing overseas have an automatic two-month extension to file their 2017 returns and to pay their dues, which ends June 15, 2018. Deployed service members have a 180-day extension, plus any days they had left to file for that year before they deployed. The clock begins the day the member returns from deployment. No penalties or interest will be charged as long as they file during the extension period.

Team Mildenhall members must bring all applicable tax-related information:

     - Forms W-2, 1095, 1099, 1098 and interest/dividends on checking/savings, regardless of amount

     - Copies of Social Security Cards, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or other  
       Proof of Social Security number, or ITIN from the Social Security Administration for the    
       taxpayer, spouse and all dependents

     - Proof of identity (a DoD ID card for active duty members) 

     - Bank details for direct deposit

For more information, contact the Tax Center at DSN 238-1978/3913, or commercial at 01638 541978/3913, or the 100th ARW Legal Office at DSN 238-2028, commercial at 01638 542028.