HomeNewsArticle Display

Arranging entry to the United Kingdom

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- United Kingdom (UK) Visas
Your losing Military Personnel Flight (MPF) will ensure that you and your family have the appropriate documents to enter the UK.

The United Kingdom has immigration regulations that require visitors to the UK for more that 6 months to obtain entry clearance prior to traveling to the UK. While the rules exempt active duty military personnel, they do apply to military dependents, as well as civilian personnel, contractors and their dependents.

All non-active duty DOD-affiliated personnel assigned to the UK for more than 6 months must apply for entry clearance to the visa section of the British Consulate serving their geographic area prior to traveling to the UK. Information on British Consulates worldwide may be found on the UK Visas web site athttp://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/ and you can complete the Visa application on-line using this direct link: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1125564448127

The required form for entry clearance is the "Non-Settlement Form". This is a very lengthy form that must be accurately completed in its entirety. Your local Personnel Office may have a supply of these forms, but ultimately the most convenient way of submitting your application is through the web site using the above link. Once you have applied, you must submit the application by booking an appointment (which you can arrange online) or by mailing the application to a British Consulate.

There are three British Consulates within the US that have been designated as the main processing center for applications for each section of the country. If you submit your application online, the system will automatically provide you with the details of the closest British Consulate to the area where you live. Otherwise follow this information:

· Applicants east of the Mississippi River should submit applications to the British Consulate in New York, Telephone :(212-745-0200).

· Those living west of the Rocky Mountains will submit their applications to the British Consulate at 11766 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1200, Los Angeles, CA, 90025-6538, Telephone:(310-481-2900).

· Finally those living in between those two areas will be serviced by the Chicago Consulate at the Wrigley Building, 400N Michigan Ave, Suite 1380, Chicago, IL, 606111, Telephone: (312-970-3854).

For more information Visa requirements for military and US Government employees and dependants go to this link:

MPF must insure required no-fee passports are obtained as soon as you have been given an assignment to the United Kingdom as passports are required to be submitted to the British Consulate along with the applications for entry clearance. Processing of entry clearance is expected to take less than a week for "routine" applications, but may take as long as 45 days.

Please note that a fee is required for each family member who requires an entry clearance. The fees are listed on the web site, and each Visa is currently £85 pounds sterling (approximately $162 at the current exchange rate), payable in local currency, plus a $12 fee for mailing costs. All personnel should contact the local British Consulate visa section for the exact fee owed. Personnel who must obtain entry clearance for themselves and/or their dependents may file for reimbursement of these fees on their travel voucher when they arrive at their new permanent duty station in the UK. Civilian employees must have a transportation agreement to claim for reimbursement under the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR). For additional guidance concerning the immigration requirements please contact your gaining Personnel Office in the UK.

An added benefit of a USAFE assignment is the ability to travel to Europe and see sights many people spend a lifetime dreaming about. Your losing MPF can answer questions concerning appropriate documentation for the various countries you will want to visit. We highly recommend for you and your family to obtain tourist passports (at your own expense) prior to departing your current duty location. The tourist passport will enable you to travel freely to all European countries, as the no-fee passports are only valid for travel between the UK and the United States, and some countries do not accept ID cards and PCS orders as official travel documents. This does not waive the Visa requirement, however, as return entry from Europe into the UK still requires Immigration to see the Visa stamp.

Command Sponsorship
Dependents must have medical and educational clearance approval prior to them being command-sponsored dependents. Check with your local MPF Outbound Assignments for additional information.